You must be aware that there are gasses that are hazardous when it comes to human contact or people are exposed from it; one of these gasses is the carbon monoxide. You might have heard the news about families who are poisoned by carbon monoxide due to defective furnace. With that being said, many homeowners are purchasing detectors to avoid such unfortunate event. But is carbon monoxide the only substance you need to be careful about, well apparently there is another one called radon. How much of this poisonous gas is in your home and are you aware of the adverse effects of these gasses to you and your family’s health status?
Carbon monoxide and radon has similar features, both of these gasses are odorless, colorless and the cause of death of many people each passing year. As a matter of fact there are environmental studies conducted which shows a strong correlation between radon found in homes and lung cancer. Just think of it this way an estimate of 20,000 people die each year because of radon. Deaths cause by radon exposure is even more than the deaths caused by drunk driving and also 3000 of those deaths involve people who have not tried smoking in their entire lifetime.
There are no detectors that you can simply attached on the wall to monitor the levels of radon present in your home. There is only one way to find out how much radon is present in your home and that is through a radon test. You must be aware too that for every 15 homes 1 of which has high levels of radon. With this, it doesn’t matter where your location is or the type of home you live the important thing is you are able to perform radon gas testing. Drafty or well-sealed, old home or new ones it doesn’t make any difference still the fact remains that radon testing is necessary. This carcinogenic agent is airborne but the thing is too much presence of it could lead to devastating effects that’s why awareness of the radon levels in a certain area is necessary.
As the uranium found in soil, water and rock undergo natural decay, the gas radon is emitted. Originally, this gas is found in the atmosphere or in the outdoor environment, this is able to get in one’s home through service pipes, the gaps found on the floor, construction joints and even the cracks on the wall. Environmental agencies also believe that the primary source of radon in one’s home is the soil that comes in contact with the floors and walls. As these gasses moves up to the air within your home, these gasses are trapped, they usually pile up and eventually it pollutes the indoor air. If you want to be safe then make sure you have a radon test kit with you.