The medical business has skilled overwhelming advances over the past 50 years, and now even additional steps are being taken to help optimize patient care.…
Smoking is a common habit that is seen in plenty of men and women all over the world. There are different brands of cigarettes and other nicotine products that they like to smoke in their leisure time and even in between their works. However, the smokers should be aware of the dangerous consequences of smoking on their health that may even lead to their deaths. Hence, now all the doctors recommend quitting the habit of smoking for the treatment of any physical or mental illness of their patients.
Harmful outcomes of smoking on the physical health
- The foremost parts of the body that is affected due to smoking are the lungs, which are the main organs of the human respiratory system. The nicotine forms a layer inside the lungs that result in the obstruction of the air passage in the lungs, which is medically termed as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease or COPD. Usually, the diseases like bronchitis and emphysema are known to be the common COPD that are caused mainly due to smoking for a long time.
- The lung cancer is commonly known to be an outcome of the smoking of tobacco or other nicotine products. However, now it is established that smoking can also cause cancer in the esophagus, oral cavity, sinuses or nasal cavity, pharynx, and larynx, through which the nicotine smoke passes. It may cause cancer even in the farther organs, like stomach, pancreas, kidneys, urinary bladder, uterus, and ovary, due to the ill effects of smoking spreading to the other parts of the body.
- The smokers often suffer from frequent infections in their respiratory system, for which they suffer from coughs and sneezing that are the common symptoms of the cold. The risk of tuberculosis is also enhanced due to the habit of regular smoking.
- The aging process becomes faster in the body cells of the smokers, due to which the wrinkles and fine lines appear untimely on the skin surface, making the persons look much older than their actual age. The skin cells lose their normal elasticity due to the effects of nicotine and other harmful chemicals. Their hairs become grayer and start falling off at an early age, much similar to the aged people.
- The cardiovascular system is directly affected due to smoking, giving rise to many undesired illnesses. Hence, the smokers are more likely to suffer from high blood pressure, myocardial infarction or heart attack, cerebral stroke, and other fatal cardiovascular ailments.
- The nicotine smoke also indirectly affects the people who stay close to the smokers and are medically termed as passive smokers. These people suffer from the similar ailments that are caused due to the ill effects of direct smoking. Hence, the smokers cause serious harm to their family members and friends, before whom they keep smoking cigarettes.
- The reproductive fertility of the men and women are seriously affected by the nicotine, making them sterile to a large extent. The female smokers run the risk of causing damage to their unborn babies, by causing injuries to the uterus walls due to the ill effects of nicotine. The DNA formation of the fetus may show errors due to the chemical effects of nicotine, leading to serious genetic birth problems in the baby.
Ill effects of nicotine on the mental health of smokers
When people face various physical ailments due to the ill effects of the smoking, they are burdened with severe mental pressure as well. Hence, the smokers are more likely to suffer from depression and stress in life. The cognitive powers of the smokers are seriously affected due to smoking, as the cortex or the outer layer of the brain becomes much thinner because of the effects of nicotine. Thus, the brain gradually becomes incapable of processing information and in memorizing important facts.
The habit of smoking also causes yellowish teeth and a foul smell in the mouth, which may turn away their near ones from them. Thus, the smokers slowly get cut off socially from their friends and may even feel distanced from their family members. So they should resolve to quit smoking at any cost, which can save both their life and relations. If this quitting process does not seem to be easy, they may take the help of nicotine replacement therapy with the advice of their physicians.